The Knight's combat system

Topics and discussions not related to TamrielCraft
blacknight909
Recruit

The Knight's combat system

Post by blacknight909 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 am

So, as I mentioned in my citizen application, I have been asked to work around here with my combat system hosting events, making combat scenarios and making sure everyone can have a bit of fun tearing through a horde of monsters, and feel like the badass you want your character to be. So, in order to achieve this I have created a Dungeons and Dragons based system of die rolling and monster fighting, on the Elder Akavir server, in hopes of improving on the system I have brought it here, so in short the following is a guide on the system itself, classes, monsters, players, rolling, the Dungeon Master's job and whatever else I throw in.

The System

The system is pretty simple, you roll a d20 and the Dungeon Master says whether or not the roll was good enough to do your action. If you are attacking both players roll d20's and the higher number usually wins, acceptations being when the one defending rolls slightly lower, but the character or monster is very agile, and the DM decides that you would have more then likely missed.

When you enter a combat situation, you have one recourse, Hp, you don't have to worry about stamina and magicka, you just have to make sure you don't drop to 0 hp, in the event you do, you fall unconscious, or die, a character should not die without the players consent as a general rule for DM's, unless the situation is in a way where there is no possible way he does not die. So if a giant boulder falls on a player's head, I am sorry but if you don't get a good dodge roll, your chances of survival are slim.

While you don't have to worry about three stats, you do have to keep in mind your character, a novice mage cant cast twenty fireballs in one fight and still be standing, and a beginner adventurer cant swing his sword at a dude for a hour without getting winded. Whether or not you run out of stamina or magicka is up to the DM completely.

Combat itself goes in turns. Typically turns are decided upon by the DM, as a base I recommend the turns being.
Monster, Party Leader, Player, Player, Player, etc. When the turn list completes it resets and goes back to the first person in the turn order. You get 1 action per turn and can move before you do a action. A action can be a spell, pulling a lever, attacking, or even trying to have a short conversation.

Players and Classes

The Player Character's are, the players, I don't really need to get into this, the players are to attempt to complete the event, and have a good time in the process. What they can and cannot do is decided upon by the DM. Players are not restricted by class, they can be a thief with a long sword, or a archer with a war hammer, you can even have your own special move with them.

Classes work as follows, there are three types of classes, based upon what armor they wear.

Light: Light classes have the base hp for any humanoid 5

Mages, they can use any variety of spells they choose from, robes provide little to no protection. They can do double damage with a spell once every 2 turns. They can also do 2 spells in one turn as they have 2 hands. That is not a special they can always do that. Spells should be high risk high reward as advice for the DM's

Thieve characters can sneak and do a backstab move dealing more damage then a standard attack, but it takes 2 turns to do. They typically have a dagger or a short sword. The backstab's damage should be based on the roll.

Medium: Medium classes have base hp of 6, because of their armor.

Rogue: Rogues have access to a short sword and their choice of poisons and throwing knives. Their special is they can poison a attack every two turns, their knives do 1 damage and can cause a bleed effect.

Archer: Archers have their bows, or crossbows, their special is the power shot, they can fire a single arrow for double power every two turns. This is not just damage, this can allow them to press buttons from afar.

Heavy: Heavies have 7hp and access to the heaviest weapons.

Warrior: Warriors have access to heavy armor and great swords. Great swords do 2 damage per hit instead of lighter weapons 1 damage, the warriors special is a heavy attack dealing 4 damage every 2 turns.

Knight: Knights have heavy shields and long swords. The shield should add to the defensive rolls of the player, and the long sword can do 1-2 damage based on roll. His special should be he can deflect any attack once every several turns.

These classes are not set, a player can make his own class for his individual character should he desire to, these classes are just as a base for people who don't want to make their own.

Monsters and minions

The stats of a monster are up to the DM, and should be balanced for party strength, size, and play style. I will make a monster manual later for strength and powers of individual monsters, but they are generally up to the DM.

Minions are the small enemies the larger monsters summon, not every monster summons minions but those that do summon zombies or skeletons, both have 1hp and do 1 damage, if the summoner rolls a 20 the monsters can be stronger should the DM say.

Rolls

Rolls are not saying whether or not you succeed at a action based on when you get above 10, rolls tell the DM how well you did. The DM says how well you did something using the roll as a guide, if he says so you still fail, even if you roll well. The DM should remember that if your not fair, people can stop playing your events.

That being said, 1 and 20 are critical fails, and critical. A critical fail always hurts the party, you don't just miss, your sword gets stuck in the wall, or you miss and hit your leg. A crit deals double damage, and whatever the DM says happens, criticals make your character look like a badass.

The DM

Your job is to make a fun event, if your players don't have fun, you are doing it wrong. You are to organize the event and interpret rolls.

Potions

I want potions to have a cost, the cost is you are forfeit from loot if you use one. But you can give them to other players and they wont be forfeit. There are three types you may only use one type per combat.

Quickness elixir: A quickness elixir gives the user three free actions, that's six spells for a mage, this is meant to turn the tide of battle, if you use it, you only get one potion.

Healing potion: A healing potion regenerates 3 hp. You get 3. The use is pretty self explanatory.

Holy Water: When you drink a holy water, you can do a reroll, you can use this to make it so you don't lose a critical moment in a event. Note you cannot reroll critical fails or criticals. You get 5 potions.